Internet Explorer Hazard

June 26, 2004 at 5:40 pm | Posted in Technology | Leave a comment

Users of Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet Information Services (IIS) servers are in a world of hurt this week. Even with twice-weekly security alerts affecting the Windows platform, this latest security hole is so bad that users have been advised to stop using the Internet altogether.

Will these “analysts” and “consultants” get off the Microsoft propaganda machine and propose the absolutely correct solution – stop using Microsoft Internet Explorer. There are lots of alternative browsers for Windows users. I recommend Firefox and Opera – I’ve been using them at work (where IE is the standard) for the past few years and they are 99% compatible. As for the other 1% – well, not everyone can use a good, safe(r) operating system, can they?

There is a silver cloud in all this though – the Windows server market will have to taste some bitter medicine, but in the end, it will be more secure and robust. This will result in IIS marketshare dropping as it did during 2003. Here’s hoping that IIS marketshare reaches a level similar to the Macintosh!

TrackBack URI

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: